Software Engineer II at Skype – Since January 2013
Technologies: C/C++, C#, SVN, git, TFS, .Net, Azure, Jira, Visual Studio Online
- Built and deployed the Concierge messaging platform in C# and .Net to hundreds millions of users.
- Scrum master for Skype for Android video and Skype for TV platform teams.
- Ported the C++ audio library to the Skype for TV platform.
- Moved the Android client to a new generation of the cross platform C++ video engine.
Graphics Software Engineer at Intel Corporation – December 2012 – January 2013
Intel purchased parts of Ziilabs business and my team was transferred.
Senior Software Engineer at ZiiLABS – January 2009 to November 2012
Technologies: C/C++, Linux, SVN, git and H.264
With the change in focus to media processors, 3DLabs rebrand itself as Ziilabs.
- Developed a real time h.264 encoder for multi core media processors in microcode and C++. Specialising in motion estimation and machine learning based rate control.
- Code generation tools with test framework integration in C++, perl and ruby.
Senior Software Engineer at 3Dlabs – August 2003 to December 2008
Technologies: C/C++, SVN and Visual Studio
- Implemented OpenGL extensions as part of the driver team.
- Porting and debugging the 2D, DirectX and OpenGL drivers for 64 bit Windows.
Software Engineer at Pivotal Games – February 2002 to August 2003
Technologies: C/C++, PlayStation 2, SourceSafe and Visual Studio
- Enhancement of the internal cross platform C++ game engine.
- Gameplay programming for the Great Escape.
Architecture Engineer at STMicroelectronics – June 2000 to February 2002
Technologies: C/C++, OpenGL, DirectX, SourceSafe and Visual Studio
- Modelling of a GPU design in C++, including detailed architecture work for the pixel shader units.
- Ported C MP3 and JPEG decoders to the VLIW ST200 processor as a proof of concept.
Programmer at Aqua Pacific – October 1997 to June 2000
Technologies: C/C++, OpenGL, DirectX SourceSafe and Visual Studio
- Developed a C++ scene graph, collision detection library and arcade style flight model.
Web Author at Headland – August 1996 to September 1996
- Site design and maintenance for a number of clients.
Certificate in Web Applications Development at the Open University – 2009 to 2010
MSc in Computer Graphics and Virtual Environments at the University of Hull – 1996 to 1997
- Dissertation: ‘Real-time dynamic level of detail planet generation in Java and VRML’
BSc in Software Engineering (2:1) at the University of Hull – 1993 to 1996
- Final Year Project: ‘Raycasting fractal terrain using parallel processing’